Monday, March 25, 2013

Weight Loss - Part 1



I have something to celebrate today! I've lost 20 pounds since mid-December 2012! (all 20 pounds of which I had gained after I got married in April 2011)! I thought I'd share my story in honor of reaching this goal!  (Ignore the fact that I'm covered in deck stain in the 'Before' picture - I had a lot of trouble finding pictures of me before I lost the weight I'd put on - guess I wasn't keen on being photographed??)  (ALSO, ignore the fact that I pose the same way in all my "selfies".  I had no idea that I did that, but honestly, I almost never take selfies so that's probably why! LOL!!)

(In the before picture, I weighed about 140 and I put on an additional 5 pounds before I started to lose the weight! In the after I'm down to 125!!)

I used to hate cooking.  Hated it.  I always liked baking, but I never even wanted to think about cooking.  In fact my family used to tease me that when I got married one day, my husband was either going to have to like cooking or like to eat out a lot!

Well, when I got engaged I found myself stockpiling recipes.  I worked at a library then, so I had a lot of access to cookbooks, and on my break I would look through them and copy any of them down that look yummy.  I sort of thought in the back of my mind, "This is really just for fun, you know you're never going to make any of these."  BUT…the idea of cooking and cleaning and doing all those "housewifey" things was starting to sound… exciting and fun.  I guess that's what love does to you - it makes you crazy.  

After we were married, I spent a lot of time learning how to cook.  My mom had taught me most of the basics when I was growing up (she is a super, amazing, wonderful cook), and beyond that, I had really never been very open to learning anything.  I insisted that I was a horrible cook (I once melted an entire stick of butter in the microwave, but forgot to put it in a bowl first, so that was fun to clean up…), and I refused to really try to learn because I thought I was a hopeless case.  But now I found myself wanting to be a good cook and impress my husband with my cooking-prowess, and I was shocked to find that now that I was really trying… I was actually enjoying it.  I liked figuring out which combination of spices worked best on a dish and what sides to serve with what meat.  It was fun.  And overtime (and after lots of half-panicked phone calls to my mom, standing over a dish of something smoking), I discovered that I was actually not half-bad at it!  I still don't always love to cook, especially on those really busy days, but most of the time it's something I really do enjoy now.  Probably because I've learned that you don't always have to follow the recipe exactly, things usually turn out yummy anyway, and when you really think about it, cooking is a creative ability.

So skip to a year-and-a-half after we've said our "I do's" and guess what?? I'm cooking up a storm.  Guess what else??  I'm 20ish pounds heavier than I was at our wedding.  Ick.  That sucks, let me tell you.  It happened so subtly overtime, that I was up 10 pounds before I even realized what was happening, and then I tried to be careful and lose it back again, but 'nothing' worked and I kept gaining instead.  That's a serious bummer.  It makes you feel like it's worthless to even try to lose weight because "nothing works!"

About a year ago when I had reached 15 pounds over my wedding weight, I tried to start jogging again.  I used to love jogging and did it several days a week before I was married.  It relieved stress and helped keep me healthy.  But I found that now when I jogged, I had pain in my left knee.  I thought maybe it was a fluke - that I'd hurt it at some point and it just needed to heal… I did stretches, I lessened my intensity, and when that didn't help, I stopped jogging altogether and opted just to walk.  Walking was better than nothing right?  I was determined that I would still lose some weight even if I couldn't jog.  I walked briskly an hour to an hour and a half almost every day.  I did 30 minute work-out videos a few times a week.  I was determined.  Fast-forward to about 2 months later.  I hadn't lost any weight.  In fact, I was a few pounds heavier.  I was a little more toned, so I can only assume it was muscle mass that I gained, but it was depressing.  I thought there has got to be something wrong with me.  Looking back, the only thing that I can think that was causing the pain in my knee was probably just because the extra weight I'd gained was putting more pressure on the already weak joint.

I thought that I was eating okay and that I was exercising enough to balance out what I was eating, but in actuality, I know that's what was doing me in.  My mindset was that I was getting in so much exercise... That meant that I deserved dessert! That meant that I needed to eat a nice hardy dinner to give me strength! Man-oh-day, I was hungry!!!  I needed food!!  Well maybe some people have metabolisms that allow them to just kick up their exercise routine and lose those extra pounds without changing their diet… NOT ME!  And doing all the work of exercise - spending all that time - and not seeing any of the results I wanted was depressing.  So I stopped.  I just put it on hold for a while and decided I'd stop worrying about it and try to figure it out later.

Over Thanksgiving of 2012, I went on a vacation with my family and after that trip - and eating out ALL the time - I reached 145 lbs.  For my height (5'1.5"), this BMI calculator told me that I was smack-dab in the middle of "overweight".  I felt horrible about myself.  And I just didn't feel good physically all the time.  I felt icky and bloated and just not like me.  I thought about my future and what it might hold what it might mean to continue on the way I was, and I just didn't want to be unhealthy anymore.  So after getting home from that trip, and spending a week or two feeling super low and down about myself, I decided that I was done feeling that way.  I wanted to be healthy.  It's important to me to be a healthy person and maintain a healthy weight.  And the last drastic thing that I knew I could still change was what I was eating.

(In the first picture I probably weighed around 135, in the second I weighed about 138, the one in November I had hit my peak of 145, and the last one in December was just after I had started my lifestyle change but I hadn't really seen any results yet - you can really see how the extra pounds changed the shape of my face)

So I changed my eating habits.  Drastically.  It was difficult, and I have to admit, at first I was really kind of depressed that I wasn't getting to eat a lot of the things that I wanted.  But I found that over time I really got used to my new diet and I looked forward to the things that I was eating.  I never completely cut myself off from anything (even dessert!!) and I never really "counted" calories, so I didn't feel like I was completely sacrificing the foods that I really really really really REALLY loved to eat and would just die if I could never eat them again… ;)  I started back up my exercise routine - and this time I didn't try to follow the workout videos - I just did what I felt like was pushing myself and working the parts of my body I wanted to see change.

And I felt the need to set 2 goals.  The first was a main long-term goal that I felt was both doable but still very very challenging.  I gave myself 6 months to do it in so I had a lot of time to make gradual changes that I knew I could maintain for the long-haul, and not just drop the pounds super quickly only to gain them right back again. Chad had gotten me Wii Fit Plus for Christmas (which was not him dropping a mean hint! LOL! I asked for it!!!) which lets you set weight goals and then makes it really easy for you to track them and see your progress.  I love and need this to be able to gauge if I'm doing well or if I need to step up my workout and eating plan!  I decided that my goal weight would be 119.  This probably seems like an odd number.  I was going to do 120, but then I decided, I'd really like to see the 'teens' again! I haven't been that weight since probably before high school!  So why not??  At 119 I would be exactly in the middle of what is considered a normal weight for someone of my height.  My second goal was a intermediate goal - get back to my wedding weight!  We didn't have a scale at my house when I lived at home, but from going to the doctor and the other random times I was around someone with a scale, I know this was right around 125, maybe a few pounds more.  So 125 was the number that I wanted to see again to feel like I was back to the old me!

(It's a little hard to see the difference here because the loose fit of the shirt in the after picture and also because I am sitting down in the before picture.  Again though - you can see it in my face, I think.)

Well, I did it!! As of today, I reached my 125lb wedding weight!  I lost 20 pounds!  I can hardly believe that I made it this far because I honestly didn't know if I could do it, but now I see that I can and I know that I'm going to keep going and I'm going to see 119!  I mean come on, that's only 6 more pounds! I can do that!  And when I reach that, I'm going to set another goal! And then another!  Even if it's not weight loss, but just to maintain it and continue to make myself a healthier person!  I'm really excited to watch the progress continue to happen!

I've had a lot of people ask me what I'm doing, so I'm going to do another post soon with the changes I've made in my lifestyle, diet, and exercise routine!  I leave you with the picture that I think showcases the weight loss the best because I'm only in a bathsuit:

(you can see the changes for sure in my legs - I lost several inches there.  Also, where the suit was tight in the before picture, it's quite loose and hangs freely in the after.  The only "bad" side effect of loosing weight... you'll notice I don't "fill it out" as nicely anymore ;)... bahahaha! oh well...)

49 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment! I love you dear beautiful sister of mine. :) Congrats on reaching this great goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you girl. Keep striving for a HEALTHY "temple of the Holy Spirit." :)

    Here is a link that was an eye-opener for me that I have kept to remind myself of its truth: "Why Excercise Wont Make You Thin" http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! :)

      I read the article and that really is an eye-opener! I feel like that really helps to explain why I had so much trouble losing weight when I was completely relying on exercise - the part of that article that talked about how it makes you hungrier and want to eat more... that was SOO me! I definitely have found that the vast majority of my weight loss came from changing how I eat! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  3. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information.
    healthguidereviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    Healthguidereviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog..
    customerhealthguide.info

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article!!!
    dietsinreview

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using mental CBD for anxiety and depression vitamins and supplements is becoming more acceptable due to recent research. Scientists are finding out that some of the claims made about alternative remedies for cognitive support, mood improvement and increased memory are true. So what are some of the more beneficial remedies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding rv solar panels some others, this challenge of unsecured debt will not be their mistake, yet can come because of the redundancy, disorder, et Pest Control Companies in Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an informative guide to small business Health Topics insurance. Learn about the different plans that are available, how to choose agents and brokers, as well as how to save on your plan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next! https://royalcbd.com/product/cbd-gummies-10mg/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you the owner of an existing certified rural health clinic? Or, are you looking to start a new certified rural health clinic? If you answered "yes" to either question don't hire a rural health consultant until you've read this article! benefits hot yoga

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is the biopsychosocial nature of health? In this article, you will learn about the three major components that constitute the biopsychosocial nature of health. organic ghee

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a Personal Trainer and Soccer Coach, there are a number of important points that you should be aware of when training your kids to be fit for soccer. Your first consideration should be the age and current fitness levels of your players. It is very important to realise with your training that kids are not just little adults, and as such adult fitness and conditioning drills are largely inappropriate. Second consideration should be the types of soccer drills that you are going to use. For children, I always like to make sure that a ball is involved in all of my soccer Йога Львів and conditioning drills. For this reason I use a lot of small sided games for training my kids, as small sided games keep them involved and moving at all times, incorporating both fitness and ballwork together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As with any plan there are always rules. Weight loss is no different; after all it is a battle, a battle of mind over body and every battle has rules. Below is what I consider to be the golden rules of weight loss. how lose weight fast naturally

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is the biopsychosocial nature of health? In this article, you will learn about the three major components that constitute the biopsychosocial nature of health. MRI Scan Cost in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the US, reading the statistics of Americans without their health insurance is startling. According to Huffington Post, this 2012, almost 50 million Americans are living without health plans. This is different from years ago. And why does this happen? This is because there are lots of Americans today that don't have jobs or cannot find stable jobs that can let them have the luxury of paying for their health plans. In some families, paying for their home rent is even a problem. So, is it still possible to secure health insurance for low income families and individuals while in the midst of the crisis? Yes, it is still possible according to experts. We only need to know where to find it. Spine MRI Scan in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  17. The next time you have bad news to share with your team, use these ideas to help change your approach, your expectations and likely your results. There are several things to think about that will change your approach, your expectations and likely your results when you have to be the bearer of bad news. jiu jitsu basics

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you worried that diabetes is considered an "uninsurable" health condition? There are still choices for Texas health insurance even if you have a pre-existing medical condition like diabetes. sleep apnea disorder

    ReplyDelete
  19. Health Coaching is a relatively new profession which focuses on helping people making positive changes in their health, physical, mental and emotional lives, that they have not been able to do for themselves. Here are ten "pain for gain" reasons to hire (or become) a health coach. one shot keto

    ReplyDelete
  20. Texas refused to allow the implementation of a health insurance marketplace. This exchange is a "one-stop shop" where individuals and small businesses can get affordable health insurance for Texas. Aderall Alternative

    ReplyDelete
  21. As The US emerges from a long recession, managing the growing cost of healthcare remains an ongoing concern. The Affordable Health Act will eventually assure the availability of healthcare insurance coverage to over 30 million more Americans. This landmark legislation will improve access to a previously uninsured or underinsured group of Americans. hgh steroid for sale

    ReplyDelete
  22. here are millions of people that require the services of mental health professionals but are unable to access these resources because of the lack of funds. The cost of services can be very costly particularly if one has to pay for this type of helping service without the aid of insurance. For those individuals that are in the market for health insurance it is recommended that a policy that includes the coverage is selected. hgh steroids

    ReplyDelete
  23. The talking heads on television and the politicians are constantly going on and on about health care and what needs to be done. While the debate is important, the bottom line comes down to finding affordable health insurance in North Dakota that also provides adequate coverage for you and your family. The future is now for most people, so you can't concern yourself too much with what may happen with health care reform. What is important right now is the current state of North Dakota health insurance. liposuction dubai

    ReplyDelete
  24. The city of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia, now has the world's 3rd most expensive train fares for a 5km adult single peak journey and the world's 2nd most expensive bus fares for a 5km adult single peak journey. We also hold the title of having the world's most expensive maximum daily fares for multiple 5km adult bus and train journeys and the world's most expensive 5km single journeys without a refund policy if delays occur. If you are thinking about driving your new or used car into town and parking you will be happy to know that Brisbane's CBD parking prices have also increased 28.7% in the last 12 months, four times that of Sydney and Melbourne. Oil

    ReplyDelete
  25. The talking heads on television and the politicians are constantly going on and on about health care and what needs to be done. While the debate is important, the bottom line comes down to finding affordable health insurance in North Dakota that also provides adequate coverage for you and your family. The future is now for most people, so you can't concern yourself too much with what may happen with health care reform. What is important right now is the current state of North Dakota health insurance. steroids online

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this post, I am a big fan of this website would like to go on updated. 슬롯머신

    ReplyDelete
  27. ) The ending was repetitious and went against the grain of the better middle parts. เช็ค 백링크 구글

    ReplyDelete
  28. Only a few blogger would discuss this topic the way you do.*:.~; Best beds

    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable men and women during this topic, but you appear to be there’s more you’re speaking about! Thanks สล็อตค่ายpp

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been a raw foodist since January 2000, and have written five books around the subject. I also present a Losing weight You could say I'm passionate about it. But WHY? What can raw food do for you that cooked food can't? Well, how about this...

    ReplyDelete
  31. investing is tricky, sometimes you win and sometimes you loss. Risk takers win of course” เซ็กซี่บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  32. Increase this valuable because when a lot of people machinery are used world-wide and can add a number of them proof using its whole world may ailments specifically a result of the company at the twenty first a single. dc free mommy blog giveaways family trip home gardening house power wash baby laundry detergent 먹튀사이트

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue? situs bola terpercaya

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am usually to blogging and i genuinely appreciate your site content. This content has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your internet site and keep checking choosing info. 스포츠중계

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bon oui et aussi non. Ouais étant donné que on trouve certaines sources qui probablement accusent de similaires . Non parce que cela n’est pas suffisant d’imiter ce qu’on peut retrouver avec des articles tiers et de l’interpréter autant simplement: ufabet เข้าสู่ระบบ

    ReplyDelete
  36. A person essentially assist to make seriously posts I might state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary. Fantastic process! Open an office

    ReplyDelete
  37. The long awaited Florida Health Choices program finally shows progress in creating an online exchange of health insurance for Florida. This kind of marketplace can make it easier to shop for affordable Florida health insurance. steroids for sale

    ReplyDelete
  38. I must admit that your post is really interesting. I have spent a lot of my spare time reading your content. Thank you a lot! ufabet เข้าสู่ระบบ

    ReplyDelete
  39. It’s a fabulous pity you actually don’t enjoy a donate switch! I’d most likely donate to this exceptional blog! Document suppose that right now i’ll settle for book-marking and additionally attaching any Rss feed to make sure you great Google and bing membership. Document check forth to make sure you new posts all of which show this approach site by means of great Youtube group: ) casino backlinks

    ReplyDelete
  40. This website is actually a walk-through it really is the information you desired relating to this and didn’t know who ought to. Glimpse here, and you’ll undoubtedly discover it. 도박 백링크

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nicely We surely enjoyed reading it. This particular suggestion provided by you is quite useful for correct preparing. judi slot online 889

    ReplyDelete
  42. the public schools on our district can really give some good education to young kids. they have high standards` เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a speculative conclusion great post! . 대출

    ReplyDelete
  44. This web site is mostly a stroll-through for all of the information you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll undoubtedly uncover it. 먹튀검증순위

    ReplyDelete
  45. Smoking makes an adverse impact on your health and your health insurance policy as well. An insurance company will charge you a higher premium in proportion to the risk associated in providing a health cover. An important point to note that you should disclose all relevant information regarding your health and smoking habits. In case, you are found hiding or providing fake information, the insurance company may decline in settling the claims. fuel factor x

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? :)